Location: Dili, Timor-Leste
Event: Taxi and microlet drivers plan to protest the government of Timor-Leste’s State of Emergency and its impacts on their livelihood April 27. Demonstrations may take place near parliament and other government buildings, but protesters could also move around Dili to spread their message.
Protesters have not filed an official request to demonstrate, so details of their plans remain limited at this time. If protesters do not file a request, the demonstration will be illegal and could lead to police action. U.S. citizens should expect an increased police presence in Dili April 27.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid all travel around Dili on Monday, April 27, if possible.
- If you see crowds of people or obvious signs of a protest, turn around and avoid the area.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Exercise increased caution in Timor-Leste due to crime and possible civil unrest.
- Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal,
Praia dos Coqueiros,
(+670) 7723-1328 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
(1)-888-407-4747 or (1)-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter