Location: Dili, Timor-Leste
Event: The Association of Black Brigade Combatants (“Brigada Negra”) released a statement threatening to demonstrate and occupy the National Parliament on May 18.
Brigada Negra has not filed an official request to demonstrate, and the demonstration will be illegal if it occurs. Police may be out in force to prevent the protest and secure the National Parliament. U.S. citizens should expect an increased police presence in Dili May 18.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid all travel around the National Parliament on Monday, May 18.
- If you see crowds of people or obvious signs of a protest, turn around and avoid the area.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Exercise increased caution in Timor-Leste due to crime and possible civil unrest.
- Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal,
Praia dos Coqueiros,
(+670) 7723-1328 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
(1)-888-407-4747 or (1)-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.