Location: Throughout Timor-Leste
Event: The final week of the campaign season for the May 12 parliamentary election is beginning. Political parties are planning large rallies, door-to-door campaigns, press conferences, and other events in Dili May 4-9.
The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens remain alert to the possibility of large announced and unannounced campaign activities in the days surrounding the election.
Any large rally intended to be peaceful could turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The U.S. Embassy advises you to exercise caution when near any large public events.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Remain aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Timor-Leste, located at Av. de Portugal – Praia dos Coqueiros, at +670-332-4684, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +670-7723-1328. The consular section e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Timor-Leste’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.