The Embassy has received confirmation that the body of deceased insurgent leader Mauk Moruk will be moved to Vitoria Restaurant the evening of August 10 where it will remain until the morning of Tuesday, August 11 for transit to Baucau for burial. The road to Metiaut is closed, large crowds have gathered, and the situation could be volatile. For the Embassy’s U.S. personnel travel to or through Metiaut is prohibited. U.S. citizens likewise should avoid the area. U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. Please review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security. For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Timor-Leste’s Country Specific Information for Timor Leste
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program STEP to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Timor-Leste, located at Av. de Portugal – Praia dos Coqueiros, at +670-332-4684, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +670-7723-1328.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.