Location: Timor-Leste, countrywide
Event: The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor COVID-19 conditions and restrictions in Timor-Leste, and the Embassy will share pertinent new information in bold for quick reference.
Effective March 17, the Government of Timor-Leste (GOTL) amended its temporary and exceptional COVID-19 regulations through July 17, 2022. Changes include:
- Individuals entering Timor-Leste are no longer required to present a negative COVID-19 test result for the purpose of entry.
- Individuals are no longer required to be tested for COVID-19 upon entry into Timor-Leste unless they present COVID-19 symptoms.
- Timor-Leste’s land border has returned to normal daily operations.
Persons entering Timor-Leste who do not present documentation proving full vaccination will be subject to a 10-day mandatory prophylactic isolation. Individuals who are able to provide certification of full vaccination may be exempted from the 10-day isolation. Exceptions to the GoTL order requiring individuals entering Timor-Leste to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 may be granted for health reasons. Travelers unable to complete full COVID-19 vaccination for health reasons should carry a letter of justification from their doctor to present to health authorities upon arrival. U.S. citizens are advised to contact their local Timorese Embassy or Consulate to confirm COVID-19 related entry requirements, including duration of quarantine periods and vaccination exceptions, to receive the most up-to-date information.
Government institutions may deny access to their facilities to those who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19, able to provide a negative COVID-19 test result within five days, or in possession of a COVID-19 recovery certificate. Additional Timor-Leste-specific COVID-19 information can be found at the U.S. Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage.
The Government extended preventative measures, including the wearing of face masks and social distancing, and group events should be held in accordance with social distancing provisions.
Amendment and COVID-19 health information may be found at the Government of Timor-Leste’s official website.
U.S. citizens are cautioned that the GoTL may impose criminal penalties for directive non-compliance. In addition, foreigners may be referred to Migration Service for non-compliance. U.S. citizens are advised to monitor local news and resources for potential travel restrictions.
- COVID-19 crisis page on gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- U.S. Department of State’s Timor-Leste Country Information and Travel Advisory
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s website for the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Department of State’s Travel to the U.S. FAQs
- World Health Organization – COVID-19 Timor-Leste
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal,
Praia dos Coqueiros,
(+670) 330-2400, ext. 2026 (business hours)
(+670) 7723-1328 (after hours emergency)
State Department – Consular Affairs
(1)-888-407-4747 or (1)-202-501-4444