Event: The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the rapidly changing conditions due to COVID-19 in Timor-Leste and will continue to share information and include pertinent new information in bold for quick reference.
The Government of Timor-Leste (GOTL) renewed a State of Emergency (SOE) for all of Timor-Leste through 23:59 on September 29. The SOE restricts gatherings and directs individuals to utilize preventative measures including social distancing, the wearing of face masks, and washing of hands. Specific requirements of the SOE can be found at the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage.
The GOTL also announced the following restrictions:
- A stay-at-home order will be in effect for the Municipality of Dili, between 00:00 on August 27 and 23:59 on September 2. The order suspends public transport, certain business activities, and limits religious activities and funeral ceremonies to ten people. There are limited exceptions for essential services, including procurement and delivery of food, fuel, health care, and utilities.
- Travel between the municipalities of Dili and Ermera, and other Timor-Leste municipalities, is further restricted through 23:59 on September 13.
- Travel between the municipalities of Covalima and Baucau, and other Timor-Leste municipalities, is restricted from 00:00 on August 26 to 23:59 on September 8.
- Travel between the administrative posts (townships) of Naimeco and Bobometo, in the Special Administrative Region of Oecusse, and other Timor-Leste localities, is restricted through 23:59 on September 8.
- A stay-at-home order for the administrative posts of Ermera and Railaco, in the Municipality of Ermera, remains in effect through 23:59 on September 1.
More information about these restrictions, including exceptions, is available here.
U.S. citizens are cautioned that the GOTL may impose criminal penalties for non-compliance to its announced directives. U.S. citizens are advised to continue to practice preventative measures, including wearing face masks and practicing social distancing, and to monitor local news and resources for potential travel restrictions.
- COVID-19 crisis page on gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- S. Department of State’s Timor-Leste Country Information and Travel Advisory
- World Health Organization – COVID-19 Timor-Leste
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal,
Praia dos Coqueiros,
(+670) 7723-1328 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
(1)-888-407-4747 or (1)-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.