Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste (March 17, 2020)
Event: The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19. Many areas throughout the world are now experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and taking action that may limit traveler mobility, including quarantines and border restrictions. Even countries, jurisdictions, or areas where cases have not been reported may restrict travel without notice.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
For the latest information regarding COVID-19, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) website.
You are encouraged to visittravel.state.govto view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security. Please also visit the website of the relevant U.S. embassy or consulate to see information on entry restrictions, foreign quarantine policies, and urgent health information provided by local governments.
Travelers are urged to enroll in theSmart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency. The Department uses these Alerts to convey information about terrorist threats, security incidents, planned demonstrations, natural disasters, etc. In an emergency, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or call the following numbers: 1(888) 407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1 (202) 501-4444 from other countries or jurisdictions.
If you decide to travel abroad:
- Review and follow the CDC’s guidelines for the prevention of coronavirus.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit state.govto view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit our Embassy webpages on COVID-19for information on conditions in each country or jurisdiction.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
(670) 7723-1328 (after hours)
Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).