Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste (March 21, 2020)
Location: Dili, Timor-Leste
Event: The Timor-Leste Ministry of Health confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Dili March 21.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the Peace Corps have evacuated all their Volunteers from Timor-Leste.
The government of Timor-Leste has implemented enhanced travel restrictions, screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for further travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. Timor-Leste has barred admission to travelers who have recently visited countries with confirmed cases of COVID-19. Visit the website of the government of Timor-Leste for additional information on these new measures.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Timor-Leste.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal,
Praia dos Coqueiros,
(670) 7723-1328 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter