Event: The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor the rapidly changing conditions due to COVID-19 in Timor-Leste and will continue to share information and include pertinent new information in bold for quick reference.
A State of Emergency (SOE) is in effect for all of Timor-Leste through 23:59 on September 29. The SOE restricts gatherings and directs individuals to utilize preventative measures including social distancing, the wearing of face masks, and washing of hands. Specific requirements of the SOE can be found at the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage.
On September 8, the Government of Timor-Leste (GoTL) announced that travel between the Municipalities of Baucau, Ermera, Dili, and Covalima, and other Timor-Leste municipalities, is restricted through 23:59 on September 22.
The GoTL also announced that the general stay-at-home order for the Municipality of Dili through 23:59 on September 9 would not be extended after its expiration. The order applies to all individuals regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status. It suspends public transport, certain business activities, and limits religious activities and funeral ceremonies to ten people. There are limited exceptions for essential services, including electoral registration, pest control, and procurement and delivery of food, fuel, health care, and utilities.
The following movement restrictions are also in place:
- Travel between the administrative posts (townships) of Naimeco and Bobometo, in the Special Administrative Region of Oecusse, and other Timor-Leste localities, is restricted through 23:59 on September 8. The GoTL announced it would not extend this restriction.
- Travel between the Municipality of Manufahi, and other Timor-Leste municipalities, is restricted through 23:59 on September 15.
More information about these restrictions, including exceptions, is available here.
U.S. citizens are cautioned that the GoTL may impose criminal penalties for non-compliance to its announced directives. U.S. citizens are advised to continue to practice preventative measures, including wearing face masks and practicing social distancing, and to monitor local news and resources for potential travel restrictions.
- COVID-19 crisis page on gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- S. Department of State’s Timor-Leste Country Information and Travel Advisory
- World Health Organization – COVID-19 Timor-Leste
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal,
Praia dos Coqueiros,
(+670) 7723-1328 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
(1)-888-407-4747 or (1)-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.