Location: Timor-Leste, country-wide
Event: Timor-Leste’s presidential candidates, supporters, and political parties are planning large campaign events as the election campaign period comes to an end on March 16 ahead of the March 19 presidential election.
The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens remain alert to the possibility of large unannounced and announced campaign activities and exercise caution at or near any public gatherings. Crowds and electoral events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Election-related activities may disrupt transportation, limiting the response ability of emergency services. Heavy traffic is anticipated in Dili on March 15 and March 16, including in the areas of the airport and Tasi Tolu, which may block main roadways.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid areas where large gatherings and campaign activities may occur.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Prepare and review your personal security plans.
- Register in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important information from the U.S. Department of State about safety conditions.
U.S. Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Avenida de Portugal, Praia dos Coqueiros, Dili, Timor-Leste
+670 330-2400, ext. 2026 (business hours)
+670 7723-1328 (after hours emergency)
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Timor-Leste Country-Specific Information