A large demonstration by veteran and youth groups may take place in the Lecidere area of Dili from Monday, June 22 to Sunday, June 28 despite the Government of Timor-Leste denying authorization for the demonstration. Official U.S. personnel have been advised to avoid traveling in Largo de Lecidere and protest areas during the demonstration. U.S. citizens should reconsider travel to these areas. U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. Please review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Timor-Leste’s Country Specific Information for Timor-Leste
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Timor-Leste, located at Av. de Portugal – Praia dos Coqueiros, at +670-332-4684, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +670-7723-1328.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.