United States Embassy Dili, Timor-Leste
Demonstrations by student groups took place near the National Parliament and University of Timor-Leste (UNTL) on August 17 and August 21 despite the Government of Timor-Leste denying authorization for the demonstrations. It is likely that there will be continued protest activities in this area. Official U.S. personnel have been instructed to avoid traveling in the area during the demonstrations. U.S. citizens should reconsider travel to this area during protest activity. U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations or protests, and exercise caution in the vicinity of any large gatherings.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. Please review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Timor-Leste’s Country Specific Information for Timor-Leste.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Timor-Leste, located at Av. de Portugal – Praia dos Coqueiros, at +670-332-4684, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +670-7723-1328.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook