Your vote counts!  Did you know that many U.S. elections have been decided by a margin smaller than the number of ballots cast by absentee voters?  All states are required to count every absentee ballot if it is valid and reaches local election officials by the receipt deadline.

The following states have elections for federal offices from June through September:

August 2022:

August 2: Primary Elections- Arizona, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, and Washington

August 4: Primary Election- Tennessee

August 6: Territory Primary- Virgin Islands

August 9: Primary Elections- Connecticut, Minnesota, Vermont, and Wisconsin

August 9: Special General- Minnesota CD 1

August 13: Primary Election- Hawaii

August 16: Primary Elections- Alaska and Wyoming

August 16: Special General- Alaska U.S. House

August 23: Primary Elections- Florida and Oklahoma

August 23: Primary Election – New York CD 19 and CD 23

August 23: Special Primary Runoff Election- Oklahoma U.S. Senate

August 27: Territory Primary- Guam

September 2022:

September 6: Primary Election – Massachusetts

September 13: Primary Elections – Delaware, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island

November 2022:

November 8: General Election

November 8: Special General Election – California U.S. Senate

November 8: Special General Election – Oklahoma U.S. Senate

For All Elections:

Voters from all states can verify the status of their voting materials by contacting their election office directly.

COVID-19 ELECTION UPDATE – FVAP is working closely with state election offices, the Military Postal Service Agency, and other federal agencies to bring you up-to-date information on possible mailing delays.  Please visit for the latest information on any international postal disruptions or contact your installation military post office.

Register and request your ballot by your state’s deadline.  You can use FVAP’s easy online assistant at to walk you through each section of the form.  After you finish filling out the FPCA, print it, sign it, and send it to your election office.  Most states accept the FPCA by email or fax while some require it by mail.  Check your state-specific guidelines at

Once you receive your requested absentee ballot, vote and return it as soon as you get it. Remember to carefully follow the instructions, especially if a “security envelope” is required, and sign the package as indicated when returning it.

To save time, send voted ballots electronically if allowed by state law. Voters can check if their state accepts completed absentee ballots by email, fax, or via an online portal at

If a requested ballot has not arrived, use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) immediately at  It works like a backup ballot. If your official absentee ballot arrives after sending in the FWAB, complete and send in the official ballot, too. Only one will be counted.

Make sure the voted ballot is received by your state.  Go to, click on your state and then the “check the status of your voted ballot” button.

To find your state’s election website for specific information on candidates, elections, contact information, and links to your local election offices, visit our contact page.  You can also reach out directly to your election office for status updates on your registration and absentee ballot.

Additional Information for non-UOCAVA voters: Uniformed service members, their families, and Department of Defense civilians who are currently stationed in the same location as their voting address may visit to register to vote and request information from their local election office to vote locally.

If you would like more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program, or need help with the absentee voting process, please go to, call 703-588-1584 (toll free 1-800-438-VOTE or DSN 425-1584), or email (

If you have any questions about registering to vote overseas, please contact U.S. Embassy Dili’s Voting Assistance Officer at

Remember, your vote counts!

Be absent but accounted for!