The Immigration Act of 1990 established the Diversity Visa (DV) program, which makes up to 55,000 immigrant visas available through random selection. The program allows those from countries with low immigration rates to the United States to enter for a chance to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa.
DV-2024 program registration will run from 12:00 EDT on October 5, 2022, through 12:00 EST on November 8, 2022.
- Submit an entry. Eligible individuals may submit an entry atstate.gov during the specified registration period in October/November of each year.
- Check your DV application status. In early May, entrants may check their DV application status and see if they were selected using the Entry Status Check atstate.gov/ESC. Entrants must have their confirmation number to access information through Entry Status Check. This is the ONLY website where Diversity Visa entrants are notified of their selection, provided instructions on how to proceed with their application, and notified of their immigrant visa interview appointment date and time. Please be aware, the U.S. Department of State is unable to provide results to DV entrants or provide your confirmation number.
- Receive notice of your visa interview appointment. The Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) will inform DV selectees of their scheduled interview via email with instructions on what to do next. Please click here for additional information on the notification and scheduling process.
- Prepare. DV selectees must bring all required documents to their interview, so please be prepared.
- Review local instructions. Please review all local instructions for the interview on our website. Please note that some of the information included in these instructions may apply to immigrant visa classifications other than diversity visa If you have questions about the country-specific information included here, please contact the embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services where you will apply for your visa.
- Schedule a medical examination. Schedule a medical examination with the U.S. Embassy, Consulate, or office providing consular services approved physician at least 15 days before your visa interview. Please locate the list of approved physicians on our website.
- Follow post-interview instructions. Please send any questions to the U.S. embassy, consulate, or office providing consular services at which you interviewed.
Additional Notices to Applicant:
All entries must be submitted electronically during the specified registration period in the DV Instructions. No late entries or paper entries are accepted. The law allows only one entry by or for each person during each registration period. The Department of State uses sophisticated technology to detect multiple entries. If you submit more than one entry you will be disqualified.
Beware of fraud and scams. Some websites and emails attempt to mislead customers, posing as providers of official U.S. government information. Read our Fraud Warning for more information.
Complete your own application. The online entry application is easy and free.